Friday, February 10, 2012

Brian Eno/Peter Schmidt "Oblique Strategies"




Because I'm pretty sure nobody reads these posts, I decided to use Brian Eno as my artist for the week. It's totally legit. He's a recording artist by fame, but he and British painter Peter Schmidt developed "Oblique Strategies" together as well. A discovery I felt was important to my artistic efforts. Oblique Strategies is a deck of cards with reminders of how to overcome artist's block and get the creative process flowing. And they can be applied to any medium across the artistic spectrum. They are sometimes as simple as "use a different tool" or as challenging as "destroy the most important thing." Either way, they are designed to pull you away from a typical approach to your art and encourage growth as an artist. It's totally rad.

2 comments:

  1. I read these posts.
    I'd never heard of 'Oblique Strategies' before, but I find the whole idea fascinating. I looked up more examples, and some of my favorites are "work at a different speed" and "Try faking it!" It's a unique and surprisingly simple approach to thinking outside the box when you're stumped in your art. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I love those! I need them badly right now. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete