Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Favorite Pieces From Our Visit to Akar

Hey guys! I thought the trip to Akar today was really neat and they had some awesome stuff there. These candlestick holders were among some of the pieces that stood out to me. I thought that they had a really fascinating shape, so I asked Jim how these were most likely made. I was surprised to find out that they were probably made on a pottery wheel. He said that the top half and the bottom half  were most likely made separately and then assembled later on. When I think of objects made on the pottery wheel, I generally think of round symmetrical objects, however I guess this goes to show that thinking outside the box and being creative is key when it comes to making a one of a kind piece. I want to keep this in mind while working on some of my future pieces and hopefully use some techniques that I saw today while visiting Akar! If you didn't make it, you should check it out because it was really great!

made by: Gay Smith, North Carolina

1 comment:

  1. I still do not know how to post to the blog! Can anyone tell me how...

    ReplyDelete