Thursday, October 18, 2012

UIMA

So I thought it would be cool to write about certain potters that have their work on display at the University of Iowa Museum of Art.

For this week, in honor of our wood-kiln burning right now and the cool, organic look it gives to the fired clay, I found this gem:

This set is on display at the museum and was created by George Lowe. He sells his work mainly in the Midwest, and fires (in a wood kiln! And sometimes a gas reduction kiln) them multiple times to get the desired, earthy-look.
He's also quoted as saying, on his website, "I believe that the best work happens when I least expect it. Through hard work and perseverance, a few good pieces will emerge.”
I feel as though this is pretty good motivation to continue working on any piece, no matter what our expectations, in order just to create SOMETHING! And, who knows, it may just turn out to be your best piece.
Happy pottery-making!

No comments:

Post a Comment